
(The Hill) -- The White House is rescheduling one of its annual spring garden tour dates due to a "massive" anti-Trump demonstration expected to take place near 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
The spring garden tours that were scheduled for Saturday have been pushed a day later, to Sunday, the White House announced Thursday.
"This decision has been made out of an abundance of caution and to ensure the safety of all within proximity to public demonstrations planned near the White House on April 5," a statement said.
The move comes as crowds are expected to gather on the National Mall in Washington on Saturday for a "Hands Off!" rally. The event, timed as part of a National Day of Action, is described by organizers as a "mass mobilization day" aimed at sending a "message to the world that we do not consent to the destruction of our government and our economy for the benefit of [President] Trump and his billionaire allies."
More than 12,000 demonstrators are expected to attend the protest, Washingtonian magazine reported.
Melania Trump's press office announced the spring garden tour dates — originally scheduled for both April 5 and 6 — last month.
The springtime tradition — which is free but requires tickets that are distributed outside the White House Visitor Center on the day of the tours — is touted as a chance for "visitors to explore the beauty of the South Lawn of the White House." Tourgoers have access to the Jacqueline Kennedy Garden, the Rose Garden and the White House Kitchen Garden.
The White House said Thursday it is "working closely with the United States Secret Service and National Park Service to safely accommodate all ticket holders," and tours for April 6 were proceeding as planned.
"All previously allocated tickets for Saturday, April 5, will be honored on Sunday, April 6, between 10:00 AM and 2:30 PM (regardless of the original Saturday time slot printed on the ticket)," the White House said.