
(NewsNation) — Sean "Diddy" Combs had a legal victory in civil court after his accuser would not reveal her identity.
The judge dismissed the case, which was filed in October 2024, against the scandal-plagued rapper, according to federal court documents. The accuser, listed as "Jane Doe," originally alleged Combs attempted to sexually assault her in 1995 in New York City at a party after she thwarted his unwanted advances.
The rap mogul denied the claims.
Doe's attorney filed for her to stay anonymous in January.
Doe's attorney, Tony Buzbee, told NewsNation in a written statement on Wednesday, "This was expected. In this particular case, Jane Doe opted not to proceed. There is a lot of fear amongst these plaintiffs. I thus can’t blame her. These are tough cases, and they are many times re-traumatizing for those who pursue them. Each case stands on its own merit. This woman chose not to proceed and subject herself to the media circus and the perceived danger she felt. We have to respect that."
"Doe" was asked by the judge to refile the complaint with her legal name by March 20; however, the alleged victim was unwilling to do so. U.S. District Judge Lewis J. Liman threw out the case March 31 after the deadline was missed.
Liman wrote in the dismissal order, “On March 6, 2025, the Court denied Plaintiff’s motion to proceed anonymously and ordered her to file a complaint in her own name by March 20, 2025, or the case would be dismissed. As of today, March 31, 2025, Plaintiff has not filed a complaint in her own name, nor has she sought an extension of time to do so. Accordingly, the case is dismissed. The Clerk of Court is respectfully directed to terminate all pending motions and deadlines and close the case."
NewsNation reached out to Combs' attorneys but did not receive a response at the time of this article's publication.
Combs is currently embroiled in several lawsuits with allegations of sexual abuse and assault with multiple plaintiffs that span over 30 years. Combs also faces federal racketeering and sex trafficking criminal charges.
Last year, federal agents raided Combs' residences in Los Angeles and Miami as part of an investigation into sex trafficking claims.
The trial is scheduled for May 5.
Arick Fudali, an attorney who represents two of Combs' accusers, former Danity Kane member Dawn Richards and a woman also referred to as "Jane Doe," told NewsNation on Tuesday in the wake of the judge's dismissal that, "While I can’t comment on any specific ruling from the court, I can say that representing victims of sexual abuse against high profile individuals, I have seen first-hand the detriment a victim faces when they are forced to reveal their identities publicly.”
Fudali continued, "From the stigma that comes with being a victim of sexual abuse, to online backlash, questioning of motives, and even threats, having to reveal one’s name can often be too much of a deterrent for some victims, causing them to continue to suffer in silence and allowing their abusers to go without being held accountable.”